A Reader's Diary

Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Graveyards and Gods

Just read two new books: The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman and Small Gods by Terry Pratchett.

I thoroughly enjoyed both of them, though in both cases something felt a little missing. In the case of The Graveyard Book, which was inspired by Kipling's Jungle Books, I felt that perhaps if I had read those, I might have gotten more out of The Graveyard Book.

Or perhaps my reading tastes are changing as I get older. Maybe I would have liked these books a lot more 10 years ago.

Small Gods seemed to have rather a lot of torture and mature content references for a kids book, however. But it was fabulous, as per usual for Terry Pratchett. Several lines that made me burst out laughing (luckily I was alone), which is typical with his books, even though this story was fairly dark overall in comparison to even books like Mort.

If you are good with listening to stories, you can hear (and watch) Neil Gaiman read The Graveyard Book here: http://www.mousecircus.com/videotour.aspx

That's all for now. I'm back to my nonfiction/textbook reading.

~Happy reading!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home